Random Shots von Joe Bryant

• Ich weiß ja nicht wie viele diese Mail von footballguys bekommen, aber ich muss die mal hier ansprechen, weil ich sie zum Schreien komisch finde. Längerer Text, aber der ist es echt wert:

[QUOTE=Joe Bryant, Footballguys.com, Random Shots Week 6]Hi Folks,

We do a lot of really insightful, thoughtful and serious features here at Footballguys with some very smart people thinking deeply for you. This is not one of those features.

This is a few pages of me downloading my goofy and dysfunctional mental hard drive that gets stuffed with way too many random items from 40 hours of watching and re-watching (God Bless Tivo) football every weekend. It's the only way I keep relatively sane. Here's hoping it has a tiny bit of value for you. Let's go.

How long has it been since the Lions were accused of running up the score?

The Saints have been gone out of their way adamantly proclaiming that RB Pierre Thomas does not have a High Ankle Sprain that normally sidelines a player for several weeks. Thankfully, he apparently just has the Regular Ankle Sprain that sidelines a player for several weeks.

I know "parity" has been the talk for years now but it seems that's even more the case this year. There are a few really good teams with the Steelers / Jets / Ravens / Falcons but the truth is it seems you could arguably add about eight more to that group. And then another group of twenty teams could be in the next group. And then even the teams that are supposed to be the bottom feeders in the Lions / Rams / Bills / can give just about any team all they want. Crazy.

Exhibit A for why Ray Lewis is wrong when he says NFL quarterbacks are protected too much: The Todd Collins vs Jimmy Clausen trainwreck we saw in Carolina Sunday. Painful.

Collins completed 10 of his 16 passes. But 4 of them were caught by Panther players. Most QBs strive to throw more touchdowns than interceptions. Collins was lucky to have more completed passes to his own team than interceptions. In most leagues, you'd have been better off starting Tennessee's Kerry Collins who never saw the field.

Yes David Akers owners, Andy Reid really does hate you.

Several outlets reported that the incident never happened, but it was still fun to hear about the alleged spat between Randy Moss and Tom Brady in the locker room where Moss reportedly yelled at Brady for his hair and Brady yelled back about Moss' beard.

I think the Shutdown Corner folks had it right. "Brady telling Moss that his hair looks bad is like Creed telling Nickleback that they're lame. Takes one to know one".

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Shaun Hill both finished in the top 8 QBs this week while Peyton Manning came in at #21. Yeah, I saw that coming...

Brett Favre – really? That's all I have to say about that.

For all the alleged animosity and bad blood that seemed to be between Mike Shanahan and Albert Haynesworth this summer, the Redskins handled the sad situation of Hayneworth's brother's death with class. Haynesworth reportedly called Shanahan at 1 a.m. with the news and the coach helped obtain owner Dan Snyder's private jet to fly Haynesworth to Nashville.

I love Todd Haley going with the onside kick to open the game. Some called it a lack of faith in his team. I saw it as going for the throat from the start. I'm really starting to like this team.

Green Bay's Mason Crosby clanked a 53 yard field goal off the upright Sunday that hit the bar 2/3 of the way up. Six inches toward the center and it would have been good from 65 yards out.

Tampa Bay WR Mike Williams doesn't look like a rookie to me. I love his game. And his celebrations. Williams did the Terrell Owens arm outstretched look after his score Sunday. I bet T.O. took that the right way.

How bad are things in Dallas? Tennessee's Kenny Britt caught a TD pass.

Here's how Chan Gailey feels...

"It's as bad as you could possibly get," Buffalo defensive tackle Kyle Williams said. "We're at the back end of everything. It's bad. Really bad."

I feel for those guys. And Bills fans. God Bless you guys.

Falcons DE Kroy Biermann looked like a superhero Sunday as he tipped a pass, caught the deflection diving headfirst, rolled and jumped up to run in for a touchdown.

His coach and teammates were duly impressed: "Kroy is from Montana," coach Mike Smith said. "He has probably rode a few wild broncos and bulls and been thrown off and landed on his feet. It was just a super athletic play."

"That was the trifecta right there," an impressed Falcons running back Michael Turner said. "A tremendous play. You can't get better than that. I didn't critique his technique. I was too busy cheering."

5' 9" Running back Mike Hart led the Colts to victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. That makes sense.

Jets WR Santonio Holmes returned from his four game suspension unbowed and unrepentant. He was asked if the suspension and the events had changed him at all.

"Not 1 percent. I've been the same person since I stepped into the NFL, and I'll be the same person until I leave," vowed Holmes. "That solidifies that question. I didn't have anything to think about. Everything is already done in the process time to play football now.

"This happened back in '08, and now it's coming out in 2010. I made it to the Super Bowl and won it, didn't I? That's all I had to do with myself. I didn't have anything to think about. I'm a football player. What happens off the field happens off the field. It doesn't affect what I do or what I'm capable of doing."

Whatever the odds are on how long until his next suspension, I take the under...

Tom Pelissero had a great quote from Randy Moss who said he was lost in the 2 Minute Drill for the new offense he was thrust into Monday night. "I was taught when it doubt, just run a go, and that's what I did."

I'd say that's pretty good advice when you can run a go like Randy Moss.

Big UFL battle this week as Jeff Garcia's Omaha Nighthawks square off against Daunte Culpepper's Sacramento Mountain Lions. I'd watch.

Dallas WR Miles Austin made a fantastic catch pulling the ball down between two Tennessee defenders for the touchdown. Titans safety Michael Griffith could afford to joke about it as Tennessee won. "It was just a freak accident," Griffin said. "I wish Miles was the meat in between our sandwich."

How bad is Oakland? They blocked two Chargers punts in the first quarter leading to a safety and a touchdown plus recovered two fumbles in the first half. And still trailed 17-15 after two quarters. How bad is San Diego? They lost to Oakland...

Cardinals quarterback Max Hall played just like you'd expect an undrafted rookie to play. Wildly erratic at times with flashes of excellence thrown in. He fearlessly / foolishly ran like a fullback into a group of defenders at the goal line and was leveled.

On one hand, you'd hope your QB would protect himself. On the other hand, it was exactly the type of thing a young player does to win over his teammates. And it seemed to work. Peter King reported that Cardinals guard Alan Faneca told him, "After he got lit up on that play, when he laid it on the line for us -- I mean, we were behind him before that anyway, but when he did that, we were going to lay it on the line for him the exact same way."

Arizona linebackers Paris Lenon and Joey Porter used the same phrase to describe their new starting quarterback: "just a tough little guy."

I like this kid.

Jets CB Darrelle Revis gets all the attention but so far this season, his main contribution has been keeping the training room folks busy nursing a hamstring after laying out of training camp. The guy catching my eye on defense has been Washington safety Laron Landry. He was a dominant factor from the opening whistle against Green Bay until the end where he made a fantastic interception to get the ball back for the winning field goal.

Some things just seem hopeless. You'd think most of the league would have taken note with the 49ers losing the game recently because Nate Clements didn't have the presence of mind to get down after the interception. Arizona's Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was in nearly the same situation as he intercepted a Drew Brees pass and took off weaving through the pack just asking to be stripped of the ball. But he scored and made Sports Center so all is well.

Shoutout to my buddy and Footballguys General Manager Clayton "Carlton" Gray here. There were lots of great things about the Lions winning Sunday. Not the least was Alphonso Smith doing the Carlton Banks Dance

For you youngsters that aren't up on your early 90's TV shows, google Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air and Carlton Banks.

Might as well stay Old School for the music note of the week. Going way back for one of the all time classic late night songs Biz Markie's Just A Friend. And don't ask me what's going on with the Mozart wig thing there. Music videos were just weird back then.

Minnesota's first play Monday night was a goofy reverse to Randy Moss where he looked to throw the ball downfield. He wound up completing the pass to Brett Favre who was ineligible because he took the snap from under center. This was obviously something the Vikings thought about and prepared. Do they not know the rules?

In an effort to squeeze all the fun it can out of the game, the NFL's Tweet Police will likely be cracking down on Bengals WR Terrell Owens who violated the "you'd better not send a tweet up to 90 minutes before kickoff - or ELSE" rule. Owens sent a message out an hour before kickoff. The offensive tweet: "A lucky fan wearing my jersey 2day will get a signed football by Me & Ocho Cinco! My asst will pick U out!! Good luck!"

Good thing they have control of these hooligans before they ruin the game.

I've stopped getting email from Saints fans yelling I was crazy to say they were fortunate to be 3-0...

Here's all you need to know about how bad things are in San Francisco: The fans were loudly chanting, "We want Carr". When David Carr starts looking good, all hope is lost.

ESPN's pre game guys were barely out of the rain Monday Night as the game was delayed because of lightning. Matt Millen said he was picking the Jets because they gave him a Jets umbrella. Steve Young said, "That's good linebacker thinking".

I think I'm with the guys at ProFootballTalk.com on this one: The Giants should thank Tiki Barber. The former RB ripped New York a couple of weeks ago and they've been on a tear ever since. The last time he criticized the Giants making light of Eli Manning's leadership abilities, they won the Super Bowl.

Nike has won the contract to become the official uniform and gear provider to the league starting in 2012. I don't care if they make every team look like Oregon as long as they scrap the ridiculous hats Reebok keeps churning out.

San Francisco DE Isaac Sopoaga with Exhibit A on why the player intro thing isn't such a good a good idea...

Cleveland QB Seneca Wallace left the game with an injury and was replaced by Jake Delhomme. Who shockingly threw an interception.

ESPN's Mike Ditka had this gem Monday morning, "You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind. And you don't mess with Randy Moss."

Is there a truer statement in all of sports than "You can't trust Joseph Addai"? I think not.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you 62